Before moving onto the advantages of the AP exam, it is important to understand what it actually is. AP or Advanced Placement exams are standardized tests offered in the US, Canada, UK, Australia etc. by colleges each May, to test how well the pupil has mastered the content and skill of a specific AP course they had taken in high school. AP exams are marked on a grade of 1 to 5 and enable the student to stand out in their college admission process, earn college credit and learn necessary skills for college. The advantages of taking AP exams are as follows-
● AP courses can help the students to learn necessary time-management skills and which interest them. They are fast-paced, delve deeper into subjects than regular classes, and need independent research and analysis. The students are acquainted with college-level curriculum.
● During the college admission process, a student who has taken an AP course stands out from the rest. The college authorities look on them favourably knowing that the student is serious and hard-working and are ready to take on rigorous coursework.
● Some colleges offer college credit based on AP Exam scores before they even enter college. Such students can graduate early hence saving tuition fee, time, can go for higher level courses early etc. In the US, more than 90% universities offer credit or advanced placement based on AP Exam scores.
● Scoring well in the AP Exam can earn the student scholarships and awards from their colleges/ universities.
● AP courses and exams help Indian students develop necessary critical thinking, reasoning, problem solving and communication skills. Indian curriculum in schools can be different from what is practised abroad. AP courses can bridge this gap for students who aspire to go abroad for their undergraduate studies.